About a girl

 I read a poem* about a girl

Who lives inside of me

A girl who used to be me

A girl who wants to remind me

That she is still there


This girl is a firecracker

This girl is unafraid

This girl wants the best out of life

And knows I deserve the best


I wondered if this girl ever really existed


When I was two maybe? or when I was 4?


(I think I saw a glimpse of her when I was 40)


At what point did I start to retreat to the safety of compliance?

The safety of saying no when I thought yes

The safety of saying yes when I really wanted to say no


When I was young I used to fall back 

Knowing my dad would catch me

I knew with utter certainty

I believe if I did this now, he still would (or at least would try)


I would like to have this same belief 

That if I jump forwards

Life will catch me 

And take me on a journey

I would like to catch the current of air

And learn to fly




*Remember Her? By Donna Ashworth


Comments